Please take note that https://sites.google.com/site/scienceeport/ will supplement some of the posts in this page. References to the Google Site will be in the related posts.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chemical bonding and atomic structure

Chemistry! Chemistry! Chemistry!

For my level at least, chemistry requires one to deposit a lot of effort, especially for the memorising part. Chemical bonding and atomic structure is the same. We needed to know how to draw diagrams and define the meaning of terms. Unlike biology though, in chemistry, I still find some interesting portions in which I was quite enthralled by. For instance, the bonding of molecules resulting in intricate molecular structure - those were quite fascinating.

This topic was also interesting because we could relate some of the things we learnt to our daily lives, especially how molecules bond in different states, thus resulting to different melting or boiling points. Prior to the introduction of this topic, I never did inquire why water, when below 0 degree celsius, would turn into a hard and cold solid. I only treated it as how nature works, and I never asked what the reasons behind these freezing and evaporating processes work.

Though molecules are some very tiny things (?) that we cannot see with our naked eye, through theory, we still understood quite some facts about them. At the same time, I was also very intrigued by how scientists discovered these many informations about the different molecular structures. I found out that though currently, chemistry only involves memorising work, they are still as interesting as any other topics. But they are only interesting when one really put in the effort to memorise them, understand them, and try to see them as a whole and the linkage between the topics and our daily lives. While we are learning more and more with each passing day, I rightly believe that our mind would slowly develop to be more inquisitive, while, noticing that the world of science is actually bigger than we expect.

To see my notes and effort put in for this term's test, please click on the hyperlink to see the webpage. To see my notes directly, please click on the following: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxzY2llbmNlZXBvcnR8Z3g6MmQ4N2Y1MzQzYmI2OGI5Yg

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment